Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reflections

This report writing hasn’t been easy. From minutes writing, survey analysis to writing the whole report, it has been tedious and definitely, time consuming. I didn’t realize that writing this report will take up so much of my time. It was not what I had expected before taking up this module. But I suppose it doesn’t make any sense to think about that now because this report writing will soon come to an end in 2 days’ time.

Finally, the whole report is coming to an end.

Anyway, this is the first time that I had worked on a report with a group of unfamiliar faces. (Surprise?) I always thought that working with friends is the best situation that one can ask for. But this report writing/ working with Weili and Miko had taught me that this is not always true. Having to work in an unfamiliar environment, out of my usual comfort zone, has ‘forced’ me to get used to their working styles, while incorporating mine. I have to admit that I found it hard to get used to. Don’t be misunderstood though; it is not because they are difficult to get along. They are really great people! I guess it’s just that I don’t like changes. Another thing is that I have the tendency to be too blunt at times. However, I have to clarify that I have no ill-intentions. My close friends are used to my blunt nature and that allowed me to voice out my opinion freely without fearing that I might offend anyone. That’s why I felt restricted in this group at times. Though restricted, this has allowed me to learn something useful instead and that was how to tactfully phrase my words so that I won’t sound harsh. This is definitely an important skill which is applicable in all cases, be it in doing group projects in school or at work.

To end this off, I would like to show my appreciation to Weili and Miko by saying thank you to them. All in all, I did learn a lot of things from them. For instance they gave me a different perspective on things. And most importantly, they showed me that a great report can still be churned out even without close friends. The next challenge that we have is the presentation. And of course, I hope that we can do a good job as well. =)

8 comments:

Danny Wong said...

Hi Zhenyun,

I believe that through the journey of writing this survey report, you have learned more things than you usually do. This is especially so when you move out of your comfort zone and did a project with friends that you never knew before.

I believe the skills you gained will serve you well in the future when you enter the workforce. After all, you will be working with total strangers again.

Cheers.

Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks, Zhenyun, for the honest reflection

As Danny mentioned in his comment, I think you have not just done more than you expected in this process but probably learned more as well precisely because you have had to operate outside your comfort zone.

I really appreciate your effort, and I look forward to reading your group's work.

XiaoTong said...

Hi Zhenyun,

Sometimes being frank is not a totally bad thing. It really depends on how you put your ideas and opinions across. I believe you've done a great job in handling this, especially after this experience in working with strangers. Keep this up and the skills you have acquired come in handy in the future.

Tan Zhenyun said...

Hi Danny,

First of all, thanks for commenting. =)

Anyway, I feel more open with doing project with strangers now. Thanks!

But I do hear from my friends about how terrible their group members though.. I wonder how they survive in this kind of situation. Luckily, I have Miko and Weili. =)

Tan Zhenyun said...

Hi Xiao Tong,

Thanks for commenting too.

I guess being frank is not a negative thing, but being blunt is another thing. In any case, we might just want to avoid any misunderstanding from others by putting your words in a nicer way (that is 'sweeter' to the ears). But of course, the most important thing is that your idea is being conveyed and understood.

Miko said...

Hi zhenyun! I didn't think you spoke bluntly throughout the project. So i guess, you really did learn how to put your messages across in a nice way =) Anyhow, i was quite surprised when you first mentioned that this is your first time doing a project with strangers, and i was thinking what a good life you have had man! Considering the fact that you've always been working with your friends, i don't suppose you face any difficult or bad situations in your projects last time right? I'm glad to be in the first "stranger" group in your life and i'm happy to hear that you've enjoyed working with us! So, the next time you were to choose, will it be friends or strangers? Haha.
It has been a great experience working with you! Hoepfully, our presentation will turn out to be good as well =)

Tan Zhenyun said...

Hi Miko..

Well, the next time I would still choose friends. -Ooops- After all, it's always the safer option cos you can't guarantee that it will be good working experience when doing projects with strangers.

I have to admit tho'; It's the "comfort zone" that I can't bear to leave. =)

Sharon said...

Well, yes frankly I will tend to choose friends too if I am not familiar with any other people in the class. Friends are somewhat more predictable than strangers. But sometimes... no choice... have to take a chance... in the meanwhile, hope for the best but prepare for the worst! Just in case.